A dream without action is just a thought, but a dream with a plan is vision.
At Bethel, we have a strong vision to touch lives on an individual level. We look at all of our ministries as part of the vision and dream God has given us for Bethel Church and Hampton Roads.
We demonstrate reconciliation by being the first to reach across racial, economic, and demographic divides.
We reshape the future through our investment in the lives of children, youth, and young adults. We can change a generation by focusing on creating an atmosphere that is effective at touching lives.
One of the ways we experience life is by finding significance in something larger than ourselves; that is why we have some many different opportunities to serve. We want to be a place that thinks beyond our personal needs. We want to serve the needs of others first.
We activate hope by being a part of our community in meaningful ways as a continuation of the vision for Bethel. Through our service projects, benevolence programs, and community outreaches we want to restore hope to our community.
We want to be a church known for more than just our words -- we want to be known for our actions.
These are non-negotiable tents of faith that all Assemblies of God churches adhere to. This list is derived from the official Statement of Fundamental Truths. Click links below to see the complete, original statement with scriptures.
- WE BELIEVE...The Scripture are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.
- WE BELIEVE...There is only One True God revealed in three persons...Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Commonly known as the Trinity).
- WE BELIEVE...In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God's Son, Jesus was both human and divine.
- WE BELIEVE...though originally good, Man Willingly Fell to Sin ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.
- WE BELIEVE...Every Person Can Have Restored Fellowship with God Through 'Salvation' (trusting Christ, through faith and repentance, to be our personal Savior). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]
- WE BELIEVE...and practice two ordinances--(1) Water Baptism by Immersion after repenting of one's sin and receiving Christ's gifts of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord's Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ's suffering and death for our salvation.
- WE BELIEVE...the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a Special Experience Following Salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times. [ 1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]
- WE BELEIVE...The initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is 'Speaking in Tongues,' as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.
- WE BELIEVE...Sanctification Initially Occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christlike.
- WE BELIEVE... The Church has a Mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin. We believe the Church is the Body of Christ and consists of the people who, throughout time, have accepted God's offer of redemption (regardless of religious denomination) through the sacrificial death of His Son, Jesus Christ.
- WE BELIEVE...A Divinely Called and Scripturally Ordained Leadership Ministry Serves the Church.
- We Believe...Divine Healing of the Sick is a Privilege for Christians Today and is provided for in Christ's atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]
- WE BELIEVE...in The Blessed Hope-When Jesus Raptures His Church Prior to His Return to Earth (the Second Coming). At this future moment in time, all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christains who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]
- WE BELIEVE...in The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints as His Second Coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel and the establishment of universal peace.
- WE BELIEVE...A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.
- WE BELIEVE...and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on Earth. 'And so shall we forever be with the Lord!'
Bethel Church ByLaws (Download)